A very large bronze anchor designed to represent a sailing ship. It is wedged into a four-sided Tumut marble base and surrounded by bollards. It is located in Sydney Square at the Town Hall near George Street.
The monument was commissioned to mark the Chinese communities long association with the City of Sydney as a gift during Sydney’s sesquicentenary. It represents both an anchor and a ship with sails furled. It seeks to convey in modern style the concept of the First Fleet leaving England and arriving in Sydney Cove as well as being a memorial to Lord Sydney of whom no monument exists.
Sculptor Ingrid Orfali was born in Sweden in 1952 and studied in Paris, where she became an Associate Professor in French Literature at the University of Lund in 1983. Several museums in Sweden feature collections of her work.
The monument was commissioned with the support of Sydney’s Chinese community to mark their long association with the City of Sydney and serve as a gift during Sydney’s sesquicentenary. Swedish artist, Ingrid Orfali was chosen from a shortlist of six artists. Her Majesty Queen Elizabeth II unveiled the sculpture on Sunday 23 February 1992.
On a plaque embedded into the pebble pave, an inscription reads: “To Sail, To Stop” celebrates the initiative of Viscount Sydney who sent the First Fleet in 1787 / and after whom the City is named. It also / commemorates a settlement that had reached the status of a City in / 1842, adopting the sailing ship and the anchor as its Coat of Arms. / This statue has been made with the support of the Chinese Community to mark their / contribution since the early days of the City. In a wider / sense, “To Sail, To Stop”, symbolises all those who have travelled and who have chosen to stay. / Alderman H. Tsang, OAM, JP / Artist: Ingrid Orfali / Mr. King Fong OAM, JP / Deputy Lord Mayor Sesquicentenary / Commemorative / Artwork Committee”.
Above and below the inscription, the same inscription is written in Chinese.
At the bottom of the plaque is the crest of the Sydney Open Museum.